My prose; Your profit

A place for me to shamelessly promote myself and my random thoughts, and for you to perhaps discover a little piece of yourself in the process.

1.31.2006

Ethical my arse

We are having another round of auditions tomorrow night. As such, we need a venue to hold them. The Ethical Society seems the logical place, as it's where we held them last week, and where my other group, amongst several other groups, holds rehearsal on a weekly basis.

I leave a message on Friday morning that I want to use the space again. I don't hear back. I leave a message on Monday morning. I don't hear back. Jon and I head over there at lunch. No one is around, doors are locked. Ringing the bell calls no one from the inner sanctum of the building. I call back Monday afternoon, it says they have office hours Tues, Wed & Thurs from 8:30-5:00. Keep in mind that these office hours are very random, and change arbitrarily from week to week.

So I figure if I call this morning, she will be in. I call this morning, no answer. Not even the machine advising of random office hours. Just rings forever. I try a few more times, with the same results. I once told Leah that Einstein said trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. I am now my own definition of insanity.

Jon and I head over again at lunch. No one is around, doors are still locked. The bell tolls for no one. The same UPS "sorry we missed you" stickers are on the door from yesterday, and new ones have now taken up residency next to them.

So I call a few minutes ago... I get a machine. It makes me feel warm and happy to know that I can at least leave a message that won't be returned. Again, it proudly proclaims the office hours... hmmm... these office hours you speak of. That'd be today, right? Right now as a matter of fact, yes? Yet no answer. Whatever. I left another message, and gave my work and mobile number.

I think the worst thing is the website. I now know the number by heart, but the first few times, I had to go to the site to get the number. And there is her picture, mocking me. An exaggerated wave, frozenly taunting... "You can't reach me. You'll never reach me."

I may get a call back. I may not. Jon and I have decided to hold auditions there anyway. The building will be unlocked, because some choral society practices there on Wednesday nights. That's right... 11:30am on a Tuesday... it's Ft. Knox. 7:30pm on a Wednesday, open like it's Denny's.

We'll drop a check in the box, hell, I even have a copy of the old contract, I could just recycle it. I'll write on the envelope, "Only open this on Tues, Wed or Thurs between 8:30-5:00, subject to change without notice. Sorry we missed you!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home