My prose; Your profit

A place for me to shamelessly promote myself and my random thoughts, and for you to perhaps discover a little piece of yourself in the process.

10.21.2006

welcome to autopia

When I was a kid, there was this ride at Disneyland called Autopia. I'm not sure if it's still there. In all its brilliant glory, it offered me my own personal vehicle with control of my direction. When I depressed the accelerator, the car chugged forward and when I withdrew, it stopped. "Curves ahead!" warned the sign as I was putt-putting along. A simple turn of the steering wheel and the car went exactly where I pointed it. I was really in control, making choices and driving the car. What exhilaration, what power and command at such a young age! The experience of free will was wonderful - until that illuminating moment when exiting the car I noticed the concrete track in the pavement that had been directing my car in an inviolate and preset way. All the while I thought I was doing the driving...




So now I sit here, on my own personal concrete track. I may not have control over the final destination, but I can still decide to enjoy the ride. I hold power over the speed, and although I may not always see those signs, I can still decide how I take those curves. And that's okay with me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Matt. Your blog couldn't have come at a better time for me personally. How could you know? (AAW) I really needed that. Keep up the great work. Oh, and the birthday blog was great, too. Caring is the best!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am i the only one who finds it amusingly ironic that you don't physically own a car at this time?

on a more serious note, your mind tastes better. good to actualize. it's such a good feeling, a very good feeling.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your ability to act reaches far beyond your own resources and encourages highly developed levels of interdependency.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your ability to act reaches far beyond your own resources and encourages highly developed levels of interdependency.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home